MINUTES OF MEETING - POST 281, DEPARTMENT OF TENNESSEE, THE AMERICAN LEGION
COMPILED BY: Adjutant Terry Ward
DATE: Mar 10 2020
APPROVED BY COMMANDER: Brenda Thompson
- VISITORS: 4
- MEMBERS PRESENT: 16
- OFFICERS: 4
- TOTAL: 24
OPENING CEREMONY – Conducted by CDR Thompson. Rolus Smith gave an opening prayer. There were 20 members and four guest presents: Mary Robinson, a new resident at Rutland Place, Andy Anderson as a guest of Bob Ramsey, and from the city of Mt. Juliet, Kenny Martin, and Mason Potts. “Sick Call” Pat Kain is still recovering but expects to be able to get out and going soon. Ray Forester seems to continue struggling with his breathing issues. Max Anderson paid the song Danny Boy on his Harmonica for the post. Prior to the meeting, we had social time with pizza and soft drinks.
Kenny Martin spoke to the post on the recovery efforts the city is conducting with the recent devastating tornadoes that hit the city and the surrounding area on the 3rd of March in the early morning hours. The path of the storm cut through the middle of the town running west to east with a storm rating of an EF 4. In its path the storm the devastation was horrific. Unfortunately, three members of the community were killed in the storm. Martin spoke on the cooperation of the whole community that came to the aid of those who have been affected, including mayors and city managers from all the surrounding areas. The storm cut completely across Wilson County and annihilated everything in its path. Within the post, no members were significantly affected, but member Phil Friedli experienced damage to his unattached garage/shop. Fortunately, Phil was out of town at the time the storm came through.
COMMITTEE & OFFICER REPORTS: (Committees chairs not offering a report are not mentioned)
- Tom Buckton offered a VA Health Care Options book. He had copies for all in attendance and gave a link for the on-line version.
- Dave Smith, Riverdogs BB, announced plans to start the ball season on May 23rd. They will start practicing soon with this year’s three different teams.
- SAL: Dan Rhame, planning to work a “serving the customers night” at Culversons in the near future.
- Honor Guard: 1 Funeral in February; 3 in January, none to report for March.
- Finance Committee: Will Sellers is awaiting an approval letter for the reverse raffle from Secretary Hargett from the state.
- Finance Officer: Steve Iles reported the post has $17, 528.43 in the bank account. March 1st starts the new financial year.
- ALR: Keith Rowell informed the post on Run for the Wall plans. He is coordinating with Phil Friedli for refuel points in Lebanon on their journey through TN.
- Adjutant Ward: Discussed the membership totals for the post being 88 % of the goal of 250 members.
- 2nd Vice Higdon: NSTR
- 1st Vice Kain: Absent/recovering from surgery
- Web update – progress on the website is improving. Still, working issues on getting the site light the post wants it to be. Seems newsletters are getting out to most of our post members and if someone is not on the list to let Terry Ward know.
- Oratorical Contest – Terry Ward informed the post of the Department winner, who will advance on the national competition in April.
- Interviewing Boys State contestants continues in March with 8 more candidates from MJHS – Brenda, Fred, and Lew
- Nominations for Post officers: Max Wix was nominated for the position of Post Commander by Gloria Wix and Keith Rowell was nominated for Second Vice. Multiple seconds to the nominations were offered by the members present.
- CDR Thompson offered a short brief on the use of an online service called Paper Safe, to safeguard important family papers in a household. Adj Ward to post the web address on the post website.
- Tree Sale going on now with pickup day April 4
- MJ JROTC awards to be presented April 8th
- Run for wall May 18 – at Lebanon Veteran’s Plaza at 2 pm
- Lowes sidewalk, community outreach event Sat, April 25th.
- Honoring America’s Flag set for Memorial Day weekend (Wed-Mon)
MEETING ADJOURNMENT: With no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8:02 PM.